A dishwasher is an appliance that most of us feel we can’t do without, but it’s a relatively heavy power consumer in our homes. So, how many Amps does a dishwasher use?
On average, a dishwasher uses 10 Amps of current. However, the actual current draw of the dishwasher will depend on its size and number of features. Extra drying cycles that use heated air will increase the power consumption of the dishwasher. The frequency of use will also affect power consumption.
Many people use their dishwasher without thinking about the power it uses until their utility bill is delivered. Automatic dishwashers use a surprising amount of power for a device that sits quietly under the kitchen counter washing our dishes. So…
- How Much Power Does A Dishwasher Use?
- Why Do Dishwashers Consume A Lot Of Power?
- How To Minimize Dishwasher Power Usage?
- How Many Amps Do Bosch Dishwashers Use?
- How Many Amps Does A KitchenAid Dishwasher Use?
- How Many Amps Do Standard Dishwashers Use?
- How Many Amps Does A Samsung Dishwasher Use?
- How Many Amps Does A LG Dishwasher Use?
- How Many Amps Does A GE Dishwasher Use?
- How Many Amps Does A Frigidaire Dishwasher Use?
- How Many Amps Does A Maytag Dishwasher Use?
How Much Power Does A Dishwasher Use?
Dishwashers, like many other electrical appliances in our homes, come in various sizes and varying feature sets.
The features of the dishwasher will determine how expensive it will be to run from a power consumption point of view.
Due to the wide range of dishwasher models and the variety of feature sets included in each of them, every model will use a different amount of power.
The actual current draw of your dishwasher will be displayed on the specifications plate at the back of the machine.
The average or mid-sized dishwasher will draw around 10 Amps depending on the model. However, the number could realistically be anywhere from 10 Amps to about 15 Amps. This current draw range can result in power usage of between 1200 Watts and 1800 Watts.
The power usage combined with the average dishwasher cycle of about an hour translates into significant power use in your home.
Why Do Dishwashers Consume A Lot Of Power?
A dishwasher uses a substantial amount of electrical power every time it goes through a cycle to properly clean the dishes.
Dishwashers use a lot of electricity because they heat water to high temperatures, pump water at high pressure, and use heating elements to heat air for drying. Heating water and air require heaters that consume much power, and the pressure pump needs to be powerful to get the correct pressure.
Dishwashers don’t tap into the hot water supply from your water heater. Instead, they heat the water internally as and when they need it for the washing cycles.
Heating water takes a large amount of energy, but it’s still more energy-efficient for the dishwasher to heat its own water than use an external hot water supply.
Recommended Further Reading:
- Can A Blender Be Used As A Mixer? And When It Cannot Be Used?
- Do Microwave Ovens Need A Turntable? (Pros And Cons)
- Can Blenders Be Recycled? [How To Recycle Them For Free?]
How To Minimize Dishwasher Power Usage?
Given below are several ways to limit the amount of power usage of a dishwasher:
- Buy the right size dishwasher: A dishwasher that is too small for your needs will be used more frequently, which will increase power consumption. Instead, get a larger dishwasher and use it less frequently.
- Wipe excess food off the plates: Wiping excess food off the plates before putting them in the dishwasher will limit the intensity of the cycle you need to use on the dishes. This can translate into energy savings.
- Use Economy mode: Using the Economy mode on the dishwasher will reduce the time the dishwasher takes to complete a cycle, reducing the heating required for the water.
- Air-dry the dishes: Instead of running a drying cycle in your dishwasher, open the door of the dishwasher once the washing cycle has completed and let the dishes air dry. From the heat inside the machine, it will only take about 30 minutes for them to dry.
Implementing these strategies can minimize the impact a dishwasher has on your utility bills.
How Many Amps Do Bosch Dishwashers Use?
Bosch is an appliance brand that is well-known for its quality and reliability. Their machines use advanced technology to reduce power consumption without compromising on features.
Bosch dishwashers typically use 12 Amps, which translates to 1440 Watts at 120 Volts.
Bosch products also carry an energy star rating validating their efficiency.
Related Further Reading:
- Why Do Blenders Leak? [How To Fix A Leaky Blender?]
- Do Deep Fryers Smell? [Which Deep Fryers Don’t Smell?]
- Do Deep Fryers Smoke? (Why + How To Stop Them)
- Do Rice Cookers Use Less Water? (Why And For Which Rice?)
How Many Amps Does A KitchenAid Dishwasher Use?
KitchenAid is an American brand that offers various types of home appliances, including dishwashers.
KitchenAid dishwashers are typically larger units with extensive features, which results in higher power usage.
KitchenAid dishwashers use around 15 Amp current, which is about 1800 Watts power usage.
How Many Amps Do Standard Dishwashers Use?
Standard is a company that sells home appliances, but they offer a wide range of brands. They offer brands including Bosch, LG, GE, KitchenAid, and Frigidaire, among others.
You will need to find out the individual amperage draw for the particular brand you are interested in.
How Many Amps Does A Samsung Dishwasher Use?
Samsung is a South Korean company that has been supplying the world with a vast range of appliances since 1938.
Their focus on electronics has ensured that their appliances, including their dishwashers, are feature-rich and innovative.
Samsung standardizes the components used in their products, giving them a 15 Amp current draw across their range of dishwashers.
Related Further Reading:
- Why Do Microwave Ovens Heat Unevenly? (How To Stop It?)
- How Many Crock Pots Can You Put On A Circuit? (Real Numbers)
- Do Refrigerators Have A Reset Button? (Which Ones Have It?)
- Why Do Rice Cookers Take So Long? (Ideal Cooking Time)
How Many Amps Does A LG Dishwasher Use?
LG is a South Korean brand that is well known for many different appliance types, including computers, televisions, refrigerators, and dishwashers. Their products have gained a reputation for reliability and quality.
LG dishwashers typically use 15 Amps since they are larger units with higher volume capacity and a wide range of additional features such as fans for air-drying the load of dishes.
How Many Amps Does A GE Dishwasher Use?
General Electric (GE) is an American company that has a diverse product range that includes home appliances.
Their range of dishwashers starts at basic units, which consume relatively little electrical power, to larger models which are more energy-hungry.
GE produces a wide range of dishwashers of different capacities. The smaller dishwashers can use as little as 6 Amps, while the larger models use up to 15 Amps.
This gives a power usage range between 720 Watts to 1800 Watts.
How Many Amps Does A Frigidaire Dishwasher Use?
Frigidaire is another American home appliance brand that has a long history supplying quality home appliances to the global market. Frigidaire has a good reputation, but their range is typically larger dishwashing units.
Frigidaire dishwashers draw 15 Amps, which is 1800 Watts of power consumption.
Interesting Further Reading:
- Why Do Microwave Ovens Rust Inside? How To Prevent & Remove It?
- Do Microwave Ovens Need Ventilation? Here’s What We Found…
- Can Microwave Ovens Explode? (3 Reasons Why They Can Explode)
How Many Amps Does A Maytag Dishwasher Use?
Maytag is an American home appliance brand that started out making washing machines in 1893. The company progressed into making other home appliances, including dishwashers. Whirlpool currently owns the Maytag company.
Maytag typically makes larger, high-end dishwashers that require power on the upper end of the scale. The typical current draw of a Maytag dishwasher is 15 Amps, equating to 1800 Watts of power usage.