Blenders are very versatile and have many different uses. Blenders are usually powered by an electric motor, which may be battery-operated or corded into the power grid. But can blenders explode?
Yes, blenders can explode. They typically explode due to overheating, improper closing of the lid, too much food, electrical failure, or speeding up the blender quickly. While some incidents of blender explosions have been reported in the past, it’s not common for modern-day blenders to explode.
Let’s take a deeper look into the blender explosions now.
How Are Blenders Constructed?
There are two types of blenders: electric and manual.
Electric blenders use electricity to rotate the blades at high speed, which turns solid food into liquid form.
On the other hand, manual blenders need you to push down the handles repeatedly for your drink to become liquid.
This process helps create a consistent texture throughout your drink.
A blender is usually made up of following parts:
- Jar: The jar is the container in which you place your food. It’s usually transparent so that you can see through it.
- Lid: The lid keeps your food in and keeps unwanted guest out while mixing the food in the jar.
- Blending Blade: The blade is the heart of your blender. It moves at high speeds to mix your food and create a consistent texture throughout your drink.
- Blade Screw: The blade screw is screwed into the blender. It’s responsible for spinning the blending blade.
- O-Ring Seal: The O-ring seal secures the jar to the base of the blender.
- Base: The base is where you put your jar and turn on your blender.
- Motor: The motor is the center of your blender. It provides power to your blade for it to spin at high speeds.
- Speed Knob: The speed knob is used to control the speed of the blade. It can either be set at a single speed or have many speeds to choose from.
- Start Button: The start button turns on your blender so you can begin blending your food. After that, you should wash the blender jar with warm water and dish soap.
- Power Cord: The power cord comes out from the back of the blender and is plugged into a wall outlet for the blender to operate.
Recommended Further Reading:
- Making Use of Unwanted Blenders: Is It Possible?
- Should You Choose A Blender Over A Mixer?
- Preventing Blenders from Leaking
Why Do Blenders Explode?
Blenders usually explode due to the following five reasons:
- Overheating: If your blender operates at high speed for an extended period of time, it can cause overheating. This can lead to an explosion if the temperature becomes too high.
- Improperly closing the lid: The lid needs to be closed tightly so that there are no air or liquid leakages. Because the jar is usually made from glass or plastic, leakages can cause the jar to explode.
- Overfilling the jar: The blender can also explode if the jar is filled with too much food. Overfilling jars can cause the jar to explode due to excessive pressure. It will damage your blender and make it useless.
- Electrical failure: Electricity powers the blender. So, if the electrical wiring of your blender fails, the overload can cause a fire. Besides that, a power surge can also cause an explosion.
- Speeding up the blender too quickly: If you speed up your blender too quickly, it can cause it to explode. It’s always better to speed up the blender gradually.
So, should you use a blender? Yes, but you must be extra careful.
Make sure that you read the instructions carefully and follow them step-by-step.
How To Prevent Blenders From Exploding?
Given below are nine ways to prevent blenders from exploding:
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Before using your blender, check if all the parts are in good condition and working correctly.
- Use top-quality blenders that can withstand high pressure and overheat.
- Don’t overfill the jar.
- Never turn on your blender if the blender jar is not secured correctly.
- Make sure that the lid is closed tightly before you turn on the blender.
- Never speed up your blender too quickly.
- Always keep an eye on your blender while blending your food or drink to prevent it from exploding.
- Clean the blender jar thoroughly after using it to prevent any build-up of food. Food particles can block the vents of the blender’s motor and cause an explosion.
Interesting Further Reading:
- Strategies for Preventing and Removing Internal Rust in a Microwave Oven
- Is There Any Teflon in a Toaster?
- How Many Crock Pots Can You Put On A Circuit? (Real Numbers)
- Leaving a Rice Cooker Unattended: Pros and Cons
What To Do If Your Blender Explodes?
Given below are some of the things that you can do if your blender explodes:
- Unplug your blender and call for help.
- If you or someone else is injured, call for medical help immediately.
- Get rid of any damaged parts to prevent further injury.
- Do not try to fix the blender yourself. Leave the damaged blender alone until you get a chance to show it to a professional.
- Contact the blender manufacturer.
- Don’t use the blender again until it is fixed by a professional or the manufacturer.